– Carpet Care: The friction of debris against the fibers in a carpet is what will wear a carpet down faster than anything else. To prevent this, simply vacuum at least weekly to keep those fibers clean. Most carpet manufacturers require a professional hot steam extraction cleaning of the carpet every 12 to 18 months to maintain the manufacturers warranty. One of the best ways to prevent stains occurring in the first place is to purchase stain-resistant carpet .
– Don’t track dirt inside, Placing walk-off mats outside all entrances will help absorb soil and moisture and trap excessive dirt, sand, grit, oil, asphalt, or driveway sealer that might otherwise be tracked into the home. Clean mats on a regular basis (or sooner, when they need it) so they don’t become sources of soil themselves.
– Use a quality carpet pad, A good carpet pad not only gives better resilience and comfort underfoot, it can extend the life of your carpet, especially on stairs. Because some carpets carry warranties with specific density and thickness requirements, be sure and review your warranty before purchasing your pad. Explore varieties of carpet pad.
– Occasionally move heavy furniture, moving your furniture on occasion won’t just renew the feel of your room, it will also help avoid excessive pile crushing. Also consider using carpet protectors under the legs of tables, chairs, and other furniture to help distribute the weight. Damage can occur if you use chairs or appliances with rollers or casters without a chair pad designed specifically for carpet.
– Protect carpet when moving furniture, When moving heavy wheeled furniture (pianos, buffets, etc.), prevent damage by placing a protective barrier of heavy cardboard or plywood between the wheels and the carpet.
– Clean your area rugs, If you use area rugs on your carpet, be sure to clean them regularly, and make sure you clean and restore the pile of the carpet underneath as well. Also, be sure to check area rugs for colorfastness before placing them on carpet because the color in some rugs may bleed through. After cleaning your carpet, allow it to dry completely before replacing rugs.
– Reduce periods of direct sunlight, protect your carpet from prolonged periods of direct sunlight with blinds, shades, or awnings.
– Vacuuming Carpet: When vacuuming very long or frieze type carpet, the beater brush should be turned off so that only suction is being used to pull the dirt out of the carpet. The vigorous beaters on some sweepers can untwist the fibers of the carpet and cause the carpet tips to appear frayed
– Carpets should be cleaned in a series of steps: They should first be thoroughly vacuumed. Then any larger pieces of dirt or debris that the vacuum didn’t pick up should be lifted off the carpet either by hand or with a broom and dust pan. Moreover, carpets can also be professionally steam cleaned for the most lasting results of maintaining its natural beauty and texture. Stains can often be removed simply with hot water alone or non-soap- based carpet cleaner, such as Shaw R2x Soil and Stain Remover. But never use chlorine bleach or laundry and dish washing detergent as that can make the stains worse.